[etni] Re: Fw: re: questionaire

  • From: Sandra Yosef-Hassidim <hassidim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ask@xxxxxxxx, Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 07:54:21 -0700 (PDT)

That specific document, which included most points of frustration marked here
on the etni list-was presented in person to Judy Steiner about a year ago.I was
part of a group of English teachers (from all over the country) who helped
putting it together, but not among those who presented it.
The truth is that there is probably so much a chief inspector can do. I'm
sure the inspectrate is aware of the problems in our field. I disagree with
those who claim that the inspectrate has lost contact with the "field". I
remember Judy Steiner discusssing the situation of the modular bagrut with
groups of bagrut markers. I recall giving her feedback myself. We were asked
about the new bagrut and its flexibility of streaming students from level to
level. I remember answering that the flexibility of the new modular system
might be a major advantage for the students, but it is a disaster when it comes
to the teachers. We also complained about the fact that students feel they have
nothing to study for. I remember saying I was definitely in favor of the
comeback of literature in the English bagrut. The fact that we indeed got the
literature back shows that we are being listened to. The fact that it involves
so much more work on our part without getting
 extra pay for it, is a completely different issue which our union is trying to
settle.
What I'm trying to say is:  I honestly think that we can do no more than
reporting on the situation, which we have been doing faithfully on this list,
and abiding by our union's sanctions. At this point, when there is no
willingness on the government's part to change its policy and finance a serious
reform plan, another document is not going to make the difference.
Sandra Yosef-Hassidim