[etni] Fw: re: is this common practice

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:38:49 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shoshana Ben-Yaakov" <aryeben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: is this common practice

Shalom, Dan,
The common practice is for school staff to sit together and decide upon
common working days and working hours. If it does not suit a certain member,
than he/she could/should be replaced for a specific grade by another
teacher.
On the other hand, it is not common practice to cut hours unless (as is in
your case) the class being cut is a native speakers' one. Schools do not get
any additional budgets for native speakers' classes, thus the number of
hours such groups get depends on the ability of the school to cater to their
needs.
It can also happen that a specific teacher has been given all the hours
he/she are due and such a class is actually beyond what is due.
All the best,
Shoshana Ben-Yaakov

Dan wrote:
>I informed my school last that for the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 I am unable
to work on Thursdays because I am taking a tour guide course and that is the
day we have our field trips.  They were informed of this again this year.
Instead of respecting this they cut sheduled two hours on Thursday for my
grade 10 and informed because I cannot work that day my English speakers
will only have two hours of English. The principal told me he could not
accomodate me because the other two teachers cannot work any other day.  Is
this common practice or just a complete lack of respect for a senior teacher
of 10 years on the staff who made a special request? I welcome any opinions.
I simply did not how to respond to this warped logic.
It seems to me that this is one more example of how well we are treated in
this country.