[etni] Fw: re: Lessons for Teachers- Ha'aretz article

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 11:46:50 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: Michele Ben - mggben@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Lessons for Teachers- Ha'aretz article

Excellent article.
     About Ontario - I spent a month there this past summer.  For a few days
we stayed with friends where two of the sisters were in education, one in
training and one had just finished a TESOL / TEFL certificate.   The one in
training was finishing up a MA or MSc in a science subject (biotech if I'm
not mistaken.) She was just starting her teacher training course.  She had
to have the MA in hand to begin the teachers' training.  The course is a two
or three year thing.  And when she finishes, there's no guarantee of
employment.  Apparently there are 3 or 4 canditates for every teaching
position that opens up.  The pay is triple or quadruple to what we make here
and competitive with fields that require the level of academic education
that teaching requires.  The sister with the English language teaching
certification was spending weekdays at her parents' home, leaving a family
with a bunch of kids, and going home on the weekends so she could work.  She
felt that she had won the jackpot when she was hired for her summer job.
     I also spoke to  a couple who were both teachers.  We compared notes:
Numbers of kids in class, frontal hours taught, conditions in the schools,
and salary.   Needless to say, we come out behind on all counts.  They were
flabbergasted when they heard what we put up with and the conditions under
which we work.
     As far as budget goes, if the money spent on paying people to drink
coffee and read the newspaper in Misrad HaHinuch was put into teachers'
salaries and improving our conditions then things would improve without any
budget increases.
Michele