[etni] Fw: plagerizing and other dishonesty

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 06:54:11 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: Esther Revivo - estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: plagerizing and other dishonesty

Unfortunately, with book reports and other tasks, I've occasionally
discovered genius level writing by a 3 point girl. What I do is take the
assignment from her, sit her down, and tell her, "Okay. I'd like you to
write me ANOTHER book report here and now."  I am asked why. I answer, "If
you can't guess, I'll tell you when you submit this to me." Then one of two
things happen: 1- the pupil admits to getting help/ having copied or 2- I
compare the level of writing to her and ask her to explain the discrepancy.
I bend over backward to give extensions for almost every assignment if there
is a good reason and am very thoughtful about my pupils (i.e. put off work
due on a day when they have a major exam in another subject.) But, there is
one thing I cannot tolerate. This is dishonesty!!!

If I suspect "hanky panky," but not 100% certain, I will ask to see the book
they read, and will ask them questions on it that they must answer. Here
too, if the pupil hasn't read the book (only the blurb) they get caught and/
or fess up to copying.

I should add that I have often given unseens to finish at home. What I say
to my pupils is: "Our Ulpana girls are no less  "aychutiyot" (quality??)
than those at the Rav Baran Ulpana where even Bagrut exams are given without
supervision. So, although I am not naive, and am aware of the fact that
several girls may very well copy,  I want the majority of you to know... I
TRUST YOU! Those who abuse my trust are only hurting themselves in the long
run."

At the end of year I give out feedback sheets which pupils submit
anonymously. (I don't recognize their Hebrew handwriting!) I have been told
time and time again, "Ha'morah! Thank you for trusting us! You should know
that you are the only teacher by whom pupils almost never copy work."

To change the topic: Renee, you are 100% right! This year, what with the
added 10 points to bagrut grades due to the war, there were horrendous
discrepancies in grades of the 12th grade class that I taught since junior
high until this year. (A
colleague took them since I am as of this year, teaching only 1/3 misra.)
When they were fuming at the discrepancies, I asked, "Did you, like last
year, fail to read a single book nor submit a book report? Did you, as
during last year, miss at least one in 6 lessons for no good reason? Did you
fail to complete your homework?" Suddenly, the pupils all backed down.

Shavua Tov-
Esther Revivo
Ulpanat Tzvia Sedot Negev