[etni] Fw: our gripes

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 14:27:30 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: sbshai - sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: our gripes

Dear ETNiers,
I'd like to respond to Esther's recent posting about teacher gripes: First,
it would be great if the majority of teachers felt as she does that we have
nothing to fear if we air our concerns and complaints as diligent and
devoted educators -- as long as we do so respectfully, of course.  However,
I have witnessed several occasions when this did not work out the way it
should have -- i.e., Ministry reps did not take too kindly our public
broadcasts of what we find wrong with the ESL programs they initiate.  After
all, who likes to be challenged, even if it's done privately and nicely?
Never mind that we may have acknowledged all the work that went into
designing a particular program, the point that's remembered (and,
apparently, taken personally) is the criticism.

Though that's an understandable (and very human) reaction, I still find it
rather ironic because these same people would tell us to drop a lesson plan
like a hotcake, no matter how much work went into it, if it's not
successful.  We'd be expected, at the very least, to revise our work so that
it's palatable to our students -- and this is as it should be.
Yet when we teachers are handed an edict from the MOE, it's given with a "do
or die" attitude.  At best, it takes a very, very long time for teacher
input to have any effect -- or so it seems to many of us.  This is rather
unfortunate considering that most of the time we're 'reporting from the
field' -- that is, we're evaluating a program based on whether or not we see
any appreciable difference in our students' language proficiency.  (Perhaps
I'm naive, but isn't it supposed to be the point of our teaching -- whatever
methodology we use -- to increase our pupils'  ability to communicate in
English?)

Most unfortunately of all, I find, is the attitude on the part of some (b"H,
not all) Ministry people (Judy Steiner being one exception, as Esther
pointed out) that if something fails, it's the teachers' fault.  I have even
read this more than once on the ETNI list by people who are involved with
the Ministry in various roles, but they are apparently also still in the
classroom.
Related to this is the belief that the Ministry is the ultimate word on
educational policy, while we teachers are mere underlings.  (Of course there
are stronger and weaker teachers, those who attempt do their jobs well and
those that try to get away with as much as they can -- but this doesn't
justify a condescending attitude on the part of the people [part of] whose
job it is to help us!)

So I hope teachers will attend the ETAI summer conference in Jerusalem,
where I've been told there will be a rountable discussion on the looming
HOTS program -- and since this will affect ALL of us (though the majority
have not yet taken the course due to Irgun sanctions), I think it's crucial
to attend, hear and be heard.  It might even be a good idea to call the ETAI
office to check that this forum will indeed take place, and to make it clear
that your attendance is conditional upon it!
Those of us who have participated in the course, either face to face or
online, can initiate the discussion by explaining our concerns.  There is
value in doing so before the system is entrenched, just as there is value in
a unified stand.  Though we may not all see eye to eye, we do share a common
aim to improve our teaching in a way that makes it accessible to our
students and fair to us; these not NOT be antithetical goals!

Chag sameach,
Batya

P.S.
Incidentally, not all of our problems are 100% money-related issues; some
can be worked out by using our heads rather than just crying about our
wallets!