[etni] Fw: bagrut, matkonet, modules literature

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 01:43:32 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: byk - byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: re: bagrut, matkonet, modules literature

I do agree with Daniel that we English teachers seem to have become confused
and lost with all the unending demands of the Ministry, which itself seems
to have lost sight of the ultimate goal - to teach the English language, and
to reach the highest level that any particular student is capable of,
whether it be the 'a' module or the 'g'.  I regret using the term module,
because it implies everything we are doing, but  shouldn't be; training for
tests, 'map reading' the texts, and training pupils to answer questions on a
text, without having the faintest idea what that text is about.  This is
particularly true in the lower modules.

Then there is the literature.  I love literature, and love teaching it, but
I am heartily sick of having to teach literature which is way above the
language level of the pupil.  What in heaven's name is the point of having
pupils read something, when there may be 20 -30 words per page they don't
know.  They cannot enjoy it, and they certainly can't acquire so much new
vocabulary.  So what are we teaching them?

I know there are teachers who have found that projects are wonderful, and do
wonders for thair pupil; the pupils I teach - not all weak, by any means,
have trouble negotiating the internet, the language is often too hard, and
they haven't, of course , been taught the necessary skills in Hebrew.

It is often claimed that the Bagrut tests intelligence, not English.  I beg
to differ; often the exams test one's ability to judge what the examiner had
in mind, whether 'a' or 'b'

English teachers!  We can't take upon ourselves to teach all those things
which are not being taught in Hebrew.  We have 4 hours a week.  It is time
to demand that we return to basics, build up grammar and vocabulary skills,
practice writing in class, and do our best to help our students acquire
listening skills.  With 40 pupls per class, I'm afraid speaking skills have
to take care of themselves.

I have one more gripe.  The publishers have every right to try to make as
great a profit as they can, but I feel that many teachers, faced with so
many books to choose from, are unable to to make wise choices.  And the very
existence of series after series of unseens leads teachers to devote too
much time on them, instead of having books that build up vocabulary
systematically.

I'm sorry the powers that be ignored Daniel, but I'm afraid English teachers
are too tired to gird up their loins for battle.

Jennifer Byk