[etni] Fw: bagrut markers

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:58:17 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sharon Tzur" <sharontzu5@xxxxxxx>
Subject: bagrut markers

First, I'm surprised that some people have expressed reservations on the
issue of the threatened bagrut examiner's strike by saying that the students
will be hurt. The students are the ones who are hurt under the present
system whereby examiners are forced either to mark their exam at breakneck
speed, or to mark their exam when totally exhausted after working for 10 or
11 hours in order to finish the daily "manah" - 72 papers, which simply
can't be done in the allotted 8 hours. I'm also confident that the issue
will be settled quickly if we all stick together because:
A) our demands are just.
B) there is no one else who can mark the exams and the exams must be marked.

Someone wondered aloud what would happen if Bagrut examiners in other
subjects were to threaten to strike. I would like to point out that we are
seeking to change the present discriminatory policy towards the ENGLISH
examiners. I'm told that the hourly load for the top 5 point math paper is 6
papers per hour - and my nephew informs me that the exam consists of three
math problems. Why should English teachers, who mark an unseen and an essay
of 120-140 words minimum (and often students write 2 or 3 times that much),
which must be read at least twice, be expected to grade 50% more papers per
hour?

Yours,

Sharon Tzur