[etni] Fw: another literature option

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:27:48 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharon Tzur" <sharontzu5@xxxxxxx>
Subject: another literature option

Dear Etniers:

For teachers who are concerned that students don't take literature seriously, there is another option which would have a lot of advantages. I'm thinking of the model of Social Studies. To do 5 points, students have to do a paper for which they get a grade. The teacher gives the grade and reports it. It has its own Mispar Sheilon. A student who does not do the paper and wants to complete the 5 point exam after graduating has to do an exam in place of the paper. I think there is a similar arrangement in Toshba (an option - not all schools do it).

For us, it could work like this. To complete the 4 or 5 point paper, a student would have to get a grade in literature. For an internal student, this would be a grade the teacher would report based on assessment in school. It would have its own mispar sheilon. A graduate who did not do literature (or a graduate who wants to improve his grade) would take an exam in literature. That way, schools would still be free to do their own literature program, but externi students and graduates would no longer be able to pass the bagrut exam in English without ever having been tested in literature. Internal students would have a good reason to study hard in school. And another advantage is that if literature had its own semel sheilon, that we wouldn't have the problem of the correlations between our school grade and the test grade being messed up by the inclusion of literature in the school grade.

One last advantage; I'm pretty sure that a grade reported by a teacher as a separate mispar sheilon means money for the teacher. (If I'm right, that's probably why they didn't do it that way in the first place!)

Yours,

Sharon Tzur

** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org or - http://www.etni.org.il **