[etni] Fw: Taking charge of our lives

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 06:53:12 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: byk - byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Taking charge of our lives

Today, high school English teachers in Israel are probably trying to recover
from a hectic day of Bagrut , which has become more of a nightmare as the
years roll by.

But teachers, don't forget that your future working conditions are in your
hands.  I say 'your', because I am no longer part of the system.

For those who saw the Ha'Aretz article, but didn't see the remarks on
'Talkback', the overwhelming response of those who had been tempted by the
offer was "Don't touch it!"  "Teaching in an Israeli classroom is a
nightmare!"  "Fine if you can support y our family on $900 a month!" and so
on.

Look at the letters on this site.  See how many teachers say they can't
manage to "control" their classrooms of 40 + pupils of different levels, not
to mention the growing number of pupils designated LD, who need everything
read to them.

This situation must stop!

It was suggested that a questionaire be created.  I think this is a first
step.  And as many teachers as posssible must fill it in.

There are questions that need to be answered, too.  How many English
teachers are there in the country?  How many Jews?  Religious?  Ssecular?How
many Arabs?  How many from other sectors?  When is English started in these
various sectors?  How many English teaching hours are needed for all the
classes there are?  What are the sizes of the classes of each teacher who
fills in the questionaire?

I'm sure there are many other questions, and I know the English Ministry is
looking  unfavourably on negative comments which appear here.  But we must
not let the momentum dissipate.  The situation in our classrooms and our
pockets must not be allowed to continue.

Jennifer Byk