[etni] Fw: Re: spelling research

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:15:56 +0200

From: Galia Kaspi-Sprung <gkaspi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fw: [etni] Re: spelling research

Hi all,

When my daughter was 5 years old, I bought some the Lady Bug series -
similar to the "See Dick" See Spot Run" pages which had been used to teach
me how to read. (anyone remember those big pages on an easel, which the
teacher had to flip over?) I wasn't an English teacher then and my daughter
wasn't even a "real" native speaker - more of a native "listener". I can
 still remember her saying "NO! Don't tell me. I want to figure it out!"
when we'd get to a new word. OK,this didn't happen right away, but as she
progressed with the sight/global reading, she figured out the connection
between the sounds and the letters and became a fluent reader in English.
I still have those same books and plan to use them with her 2 year old
daughter as soon as she's ready!

 OK, I admit that I did have a few problems with those books. I had to
convert every "u" in every "mUmmy" in every book to an "o"!! And then there
were the "sweets shops" and other strange words, but we managed.

Those same books were used to teach my other daugher and several other
children of friends.
 My only question is if anything we buy today will last the wear and tear of
little kids and 25 years...

Galia