[etni] Fw: Re: book reports

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:02:50 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "ron" <rjbelzer@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: book reports

    I tried to deal with the problem of  reading  when I was a regular
classroom teacher.  Frankly,  I  always  felt  that the  students  (in
Junior  High) were generally (עובדים  עלי),  faking it and  enjoying the
game of putting one over on the teacher.  I tried all kinds  of  reading
tasks, and of course,  they worked with some students, but not all.
     May  I suggest that the goal  be  as David  has suggested below:
getting the kids to love reading.  The only way,  I think,  is to  have them
read  very easy and very short books, below their level,  so  the task is an
easy one.  With success, they MAY be motivated to try  a bit harder
readers.  Use  classroom  time to have them read,  and let them have  free
rein in terms of  what books  to read.
     If  you  can get  some students to  actually like it, then that is
success.
     Of course, you will always encounter the  retort on the part of some
students:  "But teacher, what do you want from me?  I don't read  Hebrew
books.  How can you expect me to read in English?"
     I wish  you all  success.
                                                 Ron  Belzer
                                                 Petach Tikva