[etni] Fw: Re: Present or Past Tense in literary compositions

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 07:48:32 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: judyastary@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Present or Past Tense in literary compositions

Strictly speaking, according to academic standards, lit. criticism is most
acceptable in the Present Tense. However, are we really applying academic
standards to our pupils in HIgh School? I concur with the approach that says
present or past, as long as it is consistent!

Judith Astary

You wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion as to what tense students should
use when writing the plot for a book report?  I've accepted it in either
present or past, as long as the tense is consistent.  I just was informed by
another teacher that it should be written only in present tense.  What is
your perspective?