[etni] Fw: RE: HOTS and schooling in the in the homeland

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:38:45 +0200

From: "Eleanor" <eleanorz541@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: HOTS and  schooling in the in the homeland

First -- to Mavis & Marlene -- we apparently all went to the same
schools....
But those tasks we did not enjoy very much -- outlining, penmanship etc etc
etc
Taught us study skills and work habits -- a small minor detail:
We were never but NEVER in  elementary school or high school -- permitted to
hand in homework or a quiz without the required "heading"  ( and each
teacher had his/her own  methods) nor would  any work be accepted on paper
ripped from a spiral notebook with the jagged edges.  The teacher invariably
says ---it looks like scrap paper and I'll treat it like scrap paper --
straight to the waste basket....
But these work habits ( respect for your own work...)  were inculcated in
the early grades and so in high school when the teachers demanded similar
methods  there was no argument.  Here it is usually only the English
teachers  (& an occasional Russian math teacher....)  who deal with these
things.  Also we all -- and I mean all  -- teach sentences and paragraphs
beginning at an early age -- not in 11th and 12th grade

More on HOTS -- last night at 4 am while  waiting for our  personal 12th
graders to  return from their high school  delegation to Poland, I talked
with a colleague about the new English program.  We both teach at one school
in Jeruslaem and our kids  go to Harel High School  in Mevasseret ZIon .

In any case-- Civics ( Citizenship/ ezrahut)  also underwent a curriculum
change with the addition of their HOTS .  But here's the difference:

Their basic program was reduced!  AND an extra year was added ( it used to
be 2 units  usually in 1 year, now it is spread over 2 years with additional
hours ( I don't remember -- it WAS 4 am ) if the program is now 3 units  or
4 for that 2 year period )  SO every teacher gets MORE HOURS + the gmul
bagrut  was enlarged accordingly.  AND they got a bonus for putting  in the
new program.
SO just like English, right :  more hours, more money  less work because the
program has changed and it has required all the teachers to rethink /
rewrite  what they have been doing.

Maybe we just don't get our point across because we are speaking a foreign
language....

Eleanor