[etni] Fw: Praying as a toranut

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:23:33 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Esther Revivo - estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Praying as a toranut

Many years ago when I first began teaching I heard this discussed with our
"va'ad morim" at school. Two of the people who really knew all the rules
(you know the type-- the ones who understand their entire pay slip and can
explain yours to you! :) said that this time is considered one of the 2 or 3
תורנויות that the school is entitled to demand of a teacher. However, if a
teacher is made to appear every work day at this time, it is beyond the call
of duty, and he can refuse.

Personally speaking, I don't mind doing this several times a week for
several reasons:
Primarily, teaching at an Ulpana as I do, talking to our girls before and
after praying about religious/ halachic issues is very important to our
entire staff, myself included. (I am one of those who believe that every
teacher is a "mechanechet," unlike some who feel there is just the official
מחנכת.) However, this is my personal opinion and I don't expect everyone to
agree with me.

Additionally, as a mother of 5, especially when my kids were very young I
blessed this given opportunity for MYSELF to pray, because there was no way
to do so before work.

Anyway..... **sigh** aren't we used to not getting paid for much of what we
do in any event? What's another 20 minutes???? :)

Back to getting yearly grades figured out........
GOOD LUCK TO ALL NEXT WEEK!
Esther Revivo