[etni] Fw: Oral testing and tapes

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:04:24 +0200

From: Barabra or Yaacov Ori ojacob@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ask@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 6:26 PM
Subject: Oral testing and tapes

Every year we ETNIANS bring up the subject of oral testing and making tapes.
We invest hours and hours of our free time and we get paid nil for all these
efforts.  Not only this, but how many of us have come in on our day off,
come in early to school or stayed after school waiting for a student who was
scheduled to be tested who just doesn't show up.  Last year, after being
stood up three times by the same student, I wrote a letter home to his
parents and gave him a zero.  Another aspect of all this which I hardly need
to remind everyone of is the fact that in English we have a lot of quizzes,
book reports and special assignments besides the tests. Many subjects have
one test and maybe a quiz or two all semester.  So sitting with students to
test them orally and tapes are not just for the test....Last year, our staff
started recording all the extra hours that we gave and the numbers were in
the hundreds.  Don't get me wrong,,, we want to help our students,, but we
should be recompensated for our time- just like any other job.  And we
shouldn't feel guilty about asking for it.  Instead of just griping - we
should start writing to our unions.  I know that there are cutbacks right
now, but the unions and the Ministry of Education need to be aware of all
these hours.  And keep in mind that the numbers of students are not going
down.  On the contrary , the numbers are rising.. It is just taken for
granted that the English teachers will continue doing all this extra
work..At the very least, we should get some recognition of the fact that we
are making such efforts to help our students.... Barbara Ori

Ros, I don't think that the teacher in your school can either refuse to test
her students orally or refuse to make tapes for them.. While her belief that
she should be paid is justified, until the unions or the Ministry do
something about the situation, it certainly is not fair for her to expect
other staff members who are also busy to do it for her.. I would take it to
the principal. Has this teacher written to the union,,,the Ministry,,,?