[etni] Fw: Me, again

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:09:06 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: Esther Revivo - estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Me, again

What can I say? Folks who know me personally know I have a big mouth, so I post a lot too....! :)

Leonie, don't your pupils do most of the project work AT SCHOOL and not at home? Our Ulpana gives 36 pts. for proper project preparation. We do the vast majority of project work in class (or the p.c. room) so we can follow what they are actually doing (not just cutting and pasting!!!) Then, we give 20 pts. for the presentations that must be at least 10 minutes long. (Which means that the final written paper is worth only 44 points!)

As to being less and less enthusiastic learners, yes it's normal that 11th and 12th graders have more interest in extra-curricular activities than school and education. However, even when teaching literature, if a teacher shows real JOY and enthusiasm in teaching, and does so in a way relevant to pupils' lives, I find that even those who are lacsidasical get interested and participate. I don't think, for example, that "All My Sons," is of interest to today's teenagers. But, there are numerous works out there that are fantastic and really touch pupils in a meaningful way.

I have received several requests for answers to the latest general knowledge quiz I posted. This week I am swamped; I will try to do this next week, G-d willing.

Take care- Esther Revivo

** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org or - http://www.etni.org.il **