[etni] Fw: Listening to our gripes

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 22:42:26 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: Esther Revivo - estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Listening to our gripes

 Firstly, I have no problem airing my opinions in front of anyone from the
Dept. of Education; as hard working dedicated professionals, why need any of
us fear airing legitimate complaints?

I just wish to say that I believe that if Judy Steiner had the ability
(primarily FINANCES) to do what SHE wants, many of our complaints would be
addressed. Over the years I have often written Judy Steiner as well as Avi
Tzur (my school's inspector) about different issues. Both have replied
quickly and to the point. The same can NOT be said of many inspectors in
other subjects studied at school. (I've overheard talk in the staff room.)

We have to keep in mind that with all the good will in the world, (and Judy
has a lot of it and really tries her best,) what with such horrific budget
cuts over the last few years her hands are tied on many issues. Just today
my rakezet and I were lamenting the fact that since the modular Bagrut came
out, our hours have gone down from 5 per week to 4. Our pupils today are
definitely much less proficient in English than pupils of yesteryear when 5
hours per week was the norm.

The bottom line is, in my humble opinion, not convincing Judy Steiner or
other inspectors of the veracity of our complaints. Rather, convincing
Knesset members and the government to invest more money in education. Unless
financing is available, no matter how much we rightly "kvetch" (complain,)
no change will be possible even if the English Inspectorate accepts our
grievances as legitimate.

Esther Revivo
Ulpanat Tzvia Sedot Negev