[etni] [FWD: tips for new teachers]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:08:01 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: tips for new teachers
 From: "Debora Bess Siegel" <deborass@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

 I wanted to thank everyone who has sent us a tip-- they are great.  I
 have cut and pasted what we have colelcted so far so everyone can read
 them-- and also to make sure I have credited the correct people.

 ENJOY!!

 ASSORTED TIPS
 - Photo-copy at least two days in advance; never wait to the last
  minute! The machine can break down, or a page can be copied wrongly.

- Check all photo copies.  Make sure the right pages have been copied
  and that nothing has been cut off.

- Whenever possible, photo-copy on both sides of the page in order to
  save paper.

- Reading comprehension texts should not have reading comprehension
  questions on the reverse side as it is difficult for students to keep
  turning the page over.

- Do not photo-copy a lot; the school administration will be displeased
  and may prevent you from photo-copying altogether.

- Find out who the person is who does the photocopying and brings the
  OHP  to your classroom.  Sexual preference permitting, marry him/her.
  (Courtesy of Barry, ETNI)

- Read your teacher union ?Yoman? from cover to cover so that you know
  all your rights.

- When you receive your first pay slip, sit down with an experienced
  teacher and/or accountant and make sure everything is in order. Ask
  questions until the whole slip is clear to you.

- Having a "big sister" to talk to, commiserate with and to say hello to

  in the halls or on the phone is a great help.

  When I first began teaching in Israel so many years ago, I was always
  the only English teacher in the school for many years.  As a result of

  that, there were perks that I missed out  on simply because no one
told
  me and because I didn't know the right questions to ask! (Courtesy of
  Esther Shenker)

- Make sure to join one of the teachers unions?! You never know when
  you'll need them. Also important that teachers know they are expected
  follow union policy once they become members. .Whether they agree
with
  it or not, or face penalties. AND Sign up with ETNI! another "obvious"

  suggestion! (Courtesy of From Laurie Ornstein)

- Color code your classes. For example, I use: red for 12th grade, green

  for 11th grade, blue for 10th grade, yellow for 9th grade. I organize
  everything according to that: a colored bag for each class in which I
  keep a notebook of the same color (with the lesson plans). In my
  attendance book I use colored sticker to denote where each class
begins,
  I color in the time schedule accordingly and have stickers to match,
as
  well as clear folders of different sizes and types for holding
homework,
  tests, etc.  This way, when I am in a hurry, I just grab that colored
  bag and run!  It is SO easy to find what I want that I cannot imagine
  ever having managed without it!  I will be forever grateful to
Lucille!
  Courtesy of ~Adele Raemer (who learned the technique from a colleague
  from Yad Mordechai ? Lucille)

- Make your own filing system and keep a copy of each worksheet you
  use/make up.  Make sure you file as the year progresses!  Most of us
  don't and are left with a huge pile at the end of the year. (Courtesy
of
  Jackie Keller)

- Keep a file at home for each class, adding exam copies and the date
  given.    This way when you have the same age group next year you will

  know which exams have been used.   Add in copies of quizzes, projects
  etc.   Doing this will save hours of preparation work in the future.
  Keep other files of work-pages you prepare for grammar, unseens,
  literature, poetry etc.   Mark each file clearly with its category.
  Again, saves hours of work in the future.   I also add things I've
been
  given at ETNI lectures etc. (Courtesy of Patricia Reifen )

- Books are heavy and can easily cause back problems. Therefore, do not
  carry around a lot of books.  Use a trolley or get an extra set so
that
  one can stay at home.

- You will never have everything on your to do list crossed off! So, the

  key is to prioritize, do what you absolutely need to each day, and a
  little extra if you have time, and call it good.

- Don't spend every weekend and evening doing school stuff. Set aside
  time each week to do some of the things that you truly enjoy. I
  guarantee that if you put yourself first by making some time for
  yourself, you'll be a better teacher! You'll be refreshed and
energized.

- Have fun, use your sense of humor, be confident in yourself and your
  abilities, it's okay to make mistakes- they are valuable learning
  experiences, show enthusiasm for what you are teaching. and finally,
  enjoy your class- there is something to love in even the most
difficult
  child.

- Be flexible!!!!! Schedules and lesson plans are a must, but be ready
  to switch things around at the last minute
  because of an unannounced assembly or fire drill, or other unexpected
event.

- Always have in your filing cabinet three or four filler activities all

  ready copied for the class- this has been a lifesaver for me whenever
  one of those unexpected events occurred. That way you're not
scrambling
  around thinking, "now what am I going to do with them?!"

- Carry around a three pocketed pencil case with everything you need in
  it - coloured pens, pencils, erasers, pencil, sharpener, stick -tack /

  blu tac, scissors, a stapler, tape, staples, a glue stick, a permanent

  marker, a chalk holder with chalk in it, a white out stick, a small
  ruler etc.  I call my pencil case my office.  If you use white boards
in
  school you can put your white board markers there, too.  I prefer to
use
  a separate, small cloth bag with a zipper (the jeans pencil case) for
my
  white board markers.  I keep a rag in a plastic zip bag to erase the
  board.  I throw the rag in the wash once a week and use a different
rag
  the following week.  There are these felt-like square rags that are
  great.  White board erasers and sponges just collect the dirt and
  eventually start smearing it back on the board. (Courtesy of Michele
Ben)

- Before you decide to show a movie to your class, make sure you know
  the school's policy on movies (they may want to censor it first).The
day
  before you intend to show the movie, make sure all the video equipment

 is working and that no other teacher has ordered the equipment for the
 same hours you need it.  Lastly, make sure that you run the video
 cassette exactly to the point where you want the movie to start (so you

 don't waste time fast forwarding). Finally, make sure you have at least

 one student who is a whiz at electronics if something goes wrong.
 (Courtesy of Chana Hirsch)

- Get a list of all the English words that make kids giggle, such as
  'nod',  'fleets', 'Zionist' , 'grapes', 'beach' and 'sheet.' In
January,
  1983, a new immigrant teacher at High veGay School in the North gave
the
  following sentence as a dictation:  "The captain waited for a nod from

  the Admiral before ordering the Zionist fleets to approach the
beach."
  At this point, the ground opened up and the teacher was never seen
  again. (Courtesy of Barry)