[etni] [FWD: Towards yet another wonderful song collection]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:39:03 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Towards yet another wonderful song collection
 From: "Barry" <barisil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 TO:  People who like to use songs to enhance their Eng lessons:

 Having   nothing better to do with my dull, empty life, i have started
putting
 together yet another collection of pop songs that can be used in the
classroom.

 Here are a few suggestions that I may put in and the reasons for my
selection: (sorry that the table format gets ruined here)

  INCREDIBLE SONGS   - COLLECTION 3
 1.  THE SUNSCREEN BAZ LERMAN
      HUMOR, ADVICE, LOTS OF TEXT CLUSTERS AND VOCAB

 2.  : WHAT ARE WORDS WORTH
       Wordy Rapping hood   Wildness, intro to the importance of
Vocabulary

 3.  I like to eat apples and bananas
      Raffi:                      Long Vowel Sounds

 4.  :   An Irish Ballad
         Tom Leherere The Family, Past Tense, Phrasal Verbs, Black
Humour

 5.  An American Life
     Madonna             Question Forms

6 Sorry
   Tracy Chapman, appologizing

7 War
   Bob Marley (indigo girls) because its a historical text, and one _
time  lause

 What songs would you like to see on this collection, which will
eventually be turned into a CD?:

Criteria:

1  The song must be available on the internet.

2 I won't include Walt Disney, musicals, etc, -- a waste of time, there
is so much good material here we may as well just buy the stuff.

3 I won't include Israeli artists like Ahinoam Nini, again, just buy the
CD's; (whatever you think of their political views)

 The same goes for Ehud Banai's brilliant song in English called 'Speak
de Language of de Hebrew man;' a must for every english teacher's
collection, and i think i'll play it at ETAI.

 4 The song cannot have more than 5 obscenities on it; i know that rules
out 90% of what the kids want to hear, but hey that's life.

 5 Kids songs, including lots with movements and fingerplays:  You can
buy the whole collection; look for names like RAFFI, Sharon Lois and
Bram, Fred Penner.

 I know that there are many good ideas on the Etni site, and hopefully
i'll  get there too, but until then, if you want to have a say in
collection 3., let me know.

 Barry SILVERberg