[etni] [FWD: Re: giving school ("magen" grades)]

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Re: giving school ("magen" grades)
 From: "Rita G. Braunstein" <ritabr@xxxxxxx>

Thanks to Laurie for describing the situation in what I believe is
common in many schools.  Up until last year I 'went with the
flow' and gave Magen grades according to their expected Bagrut
grade.  Last year I finally put my foot down and gave a school
grade that the pupils deserved  - sometimes a lot higher than
the Bagrut grade but, more important, for some pupils it was
a lot lower than their potential Bagrut grade if they were not
attending class, handing in assignments and not making any
effort.  Can I say it felt good? Certainly not.  But I am convinced
that this is more fair in the long run and although it hurts me to
be 'mean', I will continue from now on.
Rita Braunstein