[etni] [FWD: A question]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 02:20:26 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: A question
 From: "Henry Mullish" <hqm2011@xxxxxxx>

 Hi everyone,

 I am simply a lurker on your interesting web site and I have a question
 that perhaps one of the teachers of English can answer.

 I am in constant contact with a Chinese professor of Judaica
 (honestly!) and in a recent message to me (I always correct her
 professional papers which she sends me by e-mail from China) she signed
 off with the word "openning,"
 where the double "n" is incorrect. Now what is the rule for the
 doubling of the letter preceding the closing "ing" ending? It is true
 that we have "running" and "beginning" in which cases the double "n" is
 used. But why not in the word "opening"?

 Henry