[etni] English library for kids opens in Zichron

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:59:43 -0700

(To read the whole article, go to - www.etni.org/news/libraryzichron.htm
)

English library for kids opens in Zichron
Haaretz - April 22, 2005

A new English-language children's library will open in Zichron Yaakov on
Tuesday. The Yellow Library, with some 1,500 books for children and
teenagers, will be located in the home of a local doctoral student.

Ruth Jalfon, 29, decided to open the privately-funded library to provide
a new source of English-language books for children in the surrounding
areas. "I have lots of friends - both Anglos and Israelis - who are
always telling me that they want their children to read more English,"
says Jalfon, a former Londoner.

"I feel very strongly about having a library. When I was young, I was in
the library all the time and I loved it. Zichron Yaakov is a small
community, and books are a great way of learning about the world and
broadening horizons," she says.

The library's collection includes board books and picture books for
younger children, with fiction and nonfiction sections for older
readers, including chapter books, reference books, magazines and
comics. Jalfon, who has largely funded the purchase of books from her
own pocket, was sure to include her own childhood favorites - the Anne
of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery and Asterix comic books - as
well as more modern children's classics.

The books, which were mostly purchased in the United States and the
U.K., are catalogued on the library's Web site
(www.theyellowlibrary.org), along with the library's opening times
three afternoons a week.