From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 08:26:37 +0200
Subject: [etni] Fwd: re: Does grammar really matter?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: francine widerker <widerker@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Does grammar really matter?

Americans are no better with overuse of the present progressive,
confusion of adverbs and adjectives and eliminaton of perfect tenses.
Just listen to President Barak O' Bama speak freely (not from a
pre-written speech) and you hear every mistake listed above.
Francine

bareldj@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Following Jenifer's anecdote about one of her student's ingenuous question
> whether native speakers actually apply grammar rules in their everyday
> discourse, I was reminded of a survey conducted about 5 years ago in England
> which discovered that only 3 percent of the native born population speak the
> English of say, news announcers or high school literature teachers.
> Vocabulary apart, one only has to watch a few British TV programmes to
> realise that a large percentage of native British speakers make more grammar
> mistakes than the average Israeli student!

------------------------------

The British Council is the United Kingdom's international organisation for
educational opportunities and cultural relations. We are a registered charity;
209131 (England and Wales) SC037733 (Scotland). We create international
opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and build trust
between them worldwide. We call this cultural relations.

This message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it. The
British Council accepts no liability for loss or damage caused by software
viruses and you are advised to carry out a virus check on any attachments
contained in this message.