[etni] Bagrut (grading)/The Power of One/Literature/HOTS

  • From: "David R. Herz" <drh16@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:40:52 +0200

The problem with the Bagrut is the Bagrut system itself.  The reason grading
is numbing, exhausting work is that the exam is numbing and exhausting, no
less for our students than for the graders (of which I am not one).  What
should be done is that the Bagrut system should be eliminated, its
substantial budget used to raise pay, train teachers better, and provide a
better learning environment for our students.

Someone reproduced the poem, The Power of One.  One Bagrut examiner,
teacher, administrator, parent or student can make a difference.  Choose to
be the one.  Don't grade for the Bagrut, encourage others not to, and send a
barrage of complaints to the Minister, the inspectors, the press, anyone who
will listen until the system is eliminated.

There are alternative systems of accountability (see Ken Jones's article
<http://www.pdkintl.org/kappan/k0404jon.htm> "A Balanced School
Accountability Model: An Alternative to High-Stakes Testing" in the April
2004 issue of Phi Delta Kappan,
http://www.pdkintl.org/kappan/k0404jon.htm), and there are ways to make
assessment meaningful  (see Richard J. Stiggins' article "Assessment,
<http://www.pdkintl.org/kappan/k9911sti.htm>  Student Confidence, and School
Success" in the November 1999 issue of Phi Delta Kappan,
http://www.pdkintl.org/kappan/k9911sti.htm I don't agree with all he says,
but think it's a good place to start a discussion).

What I am saying is we don't need a Bagrut to evaluate students.  We should
be able to trust ourselves.  I know my teachers did.  But a system of
accountability is appropriate, and assessment has its place, especially when
it adds to our knowledge of  and ability to enhance the student's learning
experience.

As to literature and HOTS, it sometimes takes me hours to write what looks
like a fairly simple letter in English.  How on earth can we truly measure a
Higher Order Thinking Skill - if my conception of one is correct - in an
hour and a half, or even a three hour, test?  Some people simply need to sit
with a topic before they go to work on it.  Literature is to be savored,
read again, time taken to review and reread, allowing incorporation of our
experiences and asking of questions.  Wording is also to be taken into
account.

I remember spending an entire semester on The Great Gatsby in high school,
and extended periods of time on other books.  It can take a whole hour to
learn a song, let alone get into its message and social context.  Why should
one necessarily limited test substitute for a whole year of teacher
evaluation?

And while I love literature and its use in the classroom, why is literature
even our responsibility?  I did literature in my native language.  The skill
set developed translates easily to any other language.  It should be a part
of a student's core curriculum before he comes to English class.  If it is,
it should not be a stretch for him to do a character analysis or compare and
contrast essay in English, or even the title page of a project.

So I say HOTS yes, Bagrut no, Literature great, but not our primary
responsibility.   The POWER OF ONE belongs to each one of us.  It is for us
to stand up for what is right and make it so.

David R. Herz

www.educatingisrael.com <http://www.educatingisrael.com/>

Bet Rimon