[esnr] Re: science and clinical practice in our organisation

  • From: "Knut Berndorfer" <knut.berndorfer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:21:56 +0200

Dear Ann, dear listreaders

I appreciate your contribution very much Ann. I think we need more
participation in dealing with these basic issues. And I agree that good
science is not the only issue to get neurofeedback accepted in different
communities. I think it is worthwile to explore that issue further.

I want to add something regarding your story about the alpha-theta trainee.
It might be an extreme case but it can happen with all powerful methods. The
history of this kind of training links it to Elmer Greens spiritual
practice - only later Peniston used it for alcohol addiction and PTSD. It is
also linked to the way of the shamance, using trance and drums and other
methods to reach altered states. The risk of deep transformations was always
known - you could get enlightened and sometimes you went crazy.

So what training would  people using alpha-theta training need ? I believe
there are several pathways. When you work with "normal people" - a shaman
training or other inner path work - might be more useful than a standard
psychotherapy training (standard meaning with no knowledge or expierence of
altered states of experience ?).

So people who want any kind of alpha-theta training might need a screening
that assures that they do not fall into an "abnormal" category. Possibly
know a person who can deal with it, when some pathologic reactions show.
Which implies you need a network When doing alpha-theta training in Austria
I was working together with a psychotherapist.

Surely we had to discuss what means "normal" and "abnormal". And who judges.

That brings me back to another point in Anns message - we need much more
time to discuss - or better having a dialogue - before we move on.

Cordially

Knut Berndorfer,
The Gate    Institute for Exploration and Unfoldment of Human Potential
Linz, Austria
Major Backgound, Physics and Inner Work
Present Focus: Use of Biofeedback for Stressmanagement and Optimize
Functioning for Personal Training and in Training in Organisations.