[esnr] Re: an interesting week for neurofeedback

  • From: Foksfam@xxxxxxx
  • To: esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 17:51:08 EDT

a.frick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Dear  All,
Last week was an interesting week for neurofeedback in the US.   Dr Phil, a
psychologist and associate of Oprah Winfrey who now has his own  very widely
viewed chat show, did a program on neurofeedback.  He was  educated at the
University of North Texas, one of the few universities in the  US to have a
dedicated to research into neurofeedback.  On the  show last week, he had one
of his professors from the university talking about  neurofeedback for
children with ADHD.

Also, Newsweek, one of the  largest weekly news magazines in the country, had
an article on neurofeedback  based on technology that was developed by NASA,
the American space  agency.  I've attached the article to this email.  Note
that it  mentions that a peer-reviewed study is expected by year-end.  The
 was done with this technology by Roger DeBeus, who was also educated at the
University of N Texas and is president-elect of iSNR.  Business Week,
another weekly news magazine, also recently ran an article on Roger's  study.

If this can happen in the US, where the drug companies are  extremely
powerful--2nd only to the oil industry, this sort of exposure is  surely
here in  Europe.

I'm sure that such exposure is not only possible, but probable if we all
just keep writing press releases!  There have been a few radio  broadcasts and
few press features - the last big one that springs to mind  was in the New
Scientist 3 March 2001 (featuring both Americans  and Europeans - Sterman,
Rosenfeld, Birbaumer, Gruzelier & Egner)  written by Laura Spinney from LONDON.
to remind her about on-going  developments, perhaps..?
Even writing for small local newspapers and magazines can be fruitful  as
these stories may fire the imagination of more influential writers on   more
widely-read publications. So, yes, Ann - let's all just keep making a  little
noise.  The 'drip drip' effect is powerful. And I don't believe it  is an
exclusive province of America, Jorge!
Just to encourage one another - if members are aware of, or indeed, have
written, articles for the media, perhaps these could be shared on the esnr
(although, of course, unlike the USA, we don't have the advantage of a  common
language...)  What do you think?