[esnr] Re: New society concept

  • From: ex_ip276239@xxxxxxx
  • To: ESNR@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:58:06 +0100

Hi all,

From what I have been reading from all e-mails over here it seems to me that
there
may be a "lack" of training and research in NF and Neurorehabilitation (NR)
which may mean
that we may be in "the same boat" as those in the US.

When I said, on the last e-mail, that I have been teaching Psychophysiology in
the last
5 years, I was saying over here in Portugal. As John knows, and we know each
other
from way back to the time of the begining of the British Psychophysiological
Society,
Clinical Psychophysiology, also known in some places as Biofeedback(BF), is not
much
used as an intervention procedure in rehabilitation of cognitive and
behavioural
problems. I remember the initial John's work in hypnosis at the Hammersmith
Hospital
and he was the only one with enough courage to apply BF and psychophysiology
procedures
in a medical setup. I do remember the difficulties he had with other people at
the
hospital as most of them thought that that kind of work was "too strange" for a
hospital.
But BF, and John as well, survived all these years and now BF is coming up as
an essential
procedure in NF and NR.

In the place where I work now we have applied to the Portuguese Government for
a new MSc in
Cognitive Rehabilitation. We are already getting enquires about this MSc from
many
people from all sorts of areas. This MSc is going to be organised within the
framework
of the European Diploma in Psychology. This bring my first point. Is this new
training, that
many people are talking about, just another postdoctoral training or is
something like
a MSc or what?

The MSc we are trying to create over here is certainly going to have teaching
and
researching in NF and NR, even with the very little research we have on them.
It is quite
obvious that is going to use BF as its main intervention procedure but it is
going to include a
"strong cognitive neuroscience component" (John's wording) as well as cognitive
psychology.

And this brings the second point. Do we ("we" including those from the US as
well as) already
have enough "know how" to be able to apply NF/NR procedures to clients who,
after many years
of cognitive and behavioural problems (after some sort of internal or external
accident) would
like to have a better quality of life? I do agree with John when says that we
in Europe do have
a "greater critical mass" in Neuropsychology and Rehabilitation. But, as John
says, the way we
are going about to introduce them to each other is the "crunch" of the whole
thing. I,
certainly, am not going to implement this in a hospital setup. I am using spas
as they seem to
more open to this sort of "new thingy". But how are the "old" medical
professionals going to
take this?

I have recently noticing some e-mails from some US colleagues saying that the
medical
professionals are trying to make BF as something which should be applied only
by medical
people. If this goes ahead what about those who have a psychology degree with
many years of
training and research in BF? And what about all those professional societies
which have about
100 members, like ESNR? Shouldn't we stay together and "fight" these newcomers?
I, for one,
have the electrical stimulators ready to "fight them off" :-)

Jorge.

--
-------

Prof. Dr. Jorge Alvoeiro,PhD,Hull,UK

C.Psychol.,BPS,UK

ISEIT-Instituto Piaget

Estrada do Alto do Gaio

3515-776 Lordosa

Portugal.

http://www1.terravista.pt/Enseada/8146/

Clix Rapidix - Aumente até 6X a velocidade da sua Internet
Adira em http://acesso.clix.pt e comece logo a navegar