[esnr] Re: Neurofeedback

  • From: "Catherine Ruckert" <cjruckert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:32:11 +0000

Dear List membersm,

One thing which we cannot regulate with training is ethical behaviour. I am BCIA certified, a veteran special educationalist, and an ASHA speech pathologist. Should a patient of mine with an ADHD son request treatment for herself, and I suspect there is a psychiatric condition, I would never dream of treating her without full medical and psychological evaluations, diagnoses and backup. Clinicial diagnosis and hands on treatment are very different in this case. That is an ethical standard. There are many MD and PhD practioners who use NFB with no specific education.
Their standard of practice is certainly lower that mine, so where do we draw the line. I believe that we are all responsible for knowing our own limitations, and for sticking to the highest level of personal and public accountability. As a profession it is the only way we can grow in both reputation and recognition.

Catherine