[esnr] Re: How Do I see It

  • From: "Catherine Ruckert" <cjruckert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 11:01:41 +0000

Have all the list members gone on holiday at the same time? No messages since June 27th, What is up?

Are the dates for Norway finalised?

Catherine

From: "Lesley Parkinson" <lesleyparkinsoncp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [esnr] Re: How Do I see It
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:05:27 +0100

Dear MARCO,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR VERY HELPFUL CONTRIBUTION TO THE DISCUSSION.
However I am not sure that anyone is meaning to make any personal attacks,
least of all on Professor Lubar, who has done much to help the field of Neurofeedback, particularly with ADHD.
Of course you are right that we should co-operate with mutual respect with our International colleagues, however this does not negate the need for us to develop standards and training within Europe.
As you know the ESNR has made a valiant start on this.
Some of us in Europe have also been doing Neurofeedback(or EEG Biofeedback as it was called)
since the early 1970s and saw how it fell into disrepute in some areas. This was partly due to some exaggerated claims about the effects of alpha training, and partly due to the availability of equipment to people, some of whom had no idea how to use it. There were other factors too.
You mention standards of research in America as being an issue.
I had not heard that but I have heard comments on the lack of research to support some of the claims.
For me standards of training are a much more concerning issue.
It astonishes me that some think that BCIA Certification is sufficient as a basis for practise of Neurofeedback.
Even more astonishing is that some individuals practise after attending 1-3 day workshops.

I, like you, feel encouraged by the moves within Europe and the proposed development of SAN
and would like to express my appreciation to everybody who has taken part in the debate.
Kind Regards
Lesley Parkinson