[esnr] From Norway with commentary

  • From: "Gruzelier, John H" <j.gruzelier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ESNR@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:46:27 +0100

Geir Ogrim is a neuropsychologist working with children and adolescents, and is
head of a neuropsychiatric team in Ostfold, Norway. He is applying for a grant
to conduct a randomised controlled trial on Q-EEG and NF with ADHD children. In
a letter to me about this study he also added the following.

"About E-ISNR: If the organization develops in the direction you describe I
really think we are on the right track!"

he further added,

 "In addition I would like to say that I hope a conflict with US can be
avoided, and that a kind of organized collaboration will be possible.

 We need to place Q-EEG and NF within scientific neuroscience. I have discussed
NF with a leading Norwegian child psychiatrist and researcher. In his opinion
the studies to be found on  the effects of NF when you search the MedLine do
not hold an adequate scientific standard. "

Best regards,

Geir "
On behalf of the Board let me reiterate our view regarding i-SNR,  communicated
to i-SNR on 1st March and subsequently, remains unchanged, despite their
attemps to split us.

Furthermore we are considering co-opting a member to the Board to act as a
liason officer with i-SNR to help coordinate activities and to give prominence
to our relationship with them.

 On the 1st March we wrote (and this was followed up subsequently).

"At the outset please note that we plan to seek a close and "special
relationship" with iSNR based on mutual support and benefits. "

 "As I indicated we look to a very special relationship, the nature of which we
will evolve between us.  We will consider giving I-SNR a showcase symposium at
our meetings, giving discounts for both registration and DVDs of our
presentations, with possible US rights of sale, etc.  Should we go so far as to
set up a Journal then we could make reciprocal offers on subscription rates.  "

However, we do not view this as an exclusive relationship, and will affiliate
with other societies that
        will advance our field and accelerate the process of validation of our
methods,

        and expand our horizons as to 'best practice', by which I mean an
eclectic adoption of therapeutic approaches for the benefit of the
client/patient.

Let me give you one example of the latter from our recent research.

We have just submitted for publication a study which set out to replicate our
music results with dancers, but in addition to alpha/theta training which was
successful with musicians, we also had one group receiving heart rate coherence
training. Both approaches improved dance performance overall compared with
controls. Importantly the two biofeedback approaches improved different aspects
of dance, timimg in one case and technique in another.  The clear implication
is that both approaches should be used with an individual participant.

John Gruzelier

Pesident