[esnr] European certification and clinical research [was: Re: Furthermessage]

  • From: Joe Siri Ekgren <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:37:59 +0200

Dear Lesley,

Thank you again for your insightful clinical presentation on NF and incontinence in Winterthur, and your support of a new society of applied neuroscience.

I wholeheartedly agree on accenting clinical work, while keeping close ties to the scientific community. I hope you and other seasoned clinicians have the opportunity to contribute making a European standard for education and certification, especially on presenting different approaches to evaluation and training.

As I understand it, David Vernon, member-at-large ESNR/SAN, is interested in creating a group that can support clinicans in publishing their results, whether it be presenting single cases, case series or whole studies. Clinical research is a challenge, because one customizes the treatment to the individuals response, and because it is hard to collect homogenous groups in a clinical setting. Though individual results may be good from the client perspective, it is difficult to generate group data. Here is where a research scientist or three might be of help.

As to the number of members we were 90-something around des 03, and that is about how many we are currently on the list. (Jiris mail was littered with "=20" by the mail server, so that is where the membership "=20" came from.) I expect that SAN as soon as it is established, will pass the hundred member mark in September.

Best regards,

--
Joe Siri Ekgren  MD