[esnr] Antw: NFB and fasting

  • From: JefCrotty@xxxxxx
  • To: esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:05:11 EDT

In een bericht met de datum 15-10-2004 17:13:45 West-Europa (zomertijd),
schrijft Foksfam@xxxxxxx:

> I have a new 17 yr old male client who is a Muslim and will be observing
> Ramadan (no food or drink is taken during daylight hours for a month). I am
> concerned about the demands of NFB on a hungry and dehydrated brain

Hello Melissa and group,

This is my first time participating with this forum, although I read almost
all of the posts.
Your concern about the 17 year old observing Ramadan made me think about how
many people come for training after a days worth of coffee or cola or bad
eating habits.  The diets people use nowadays stresses metabolism, obstructs
blood
flow and probably slows brain activity.  Don't worry if the young man doesn't
eat or drink for eight hours.  His brian is not dehydrated and if the brain
requires substrate, it shall receive it if he is breathing.  It is, however,
important that he puts good stuff into his body in the morning and after
sunset.
 A liter of water at least, fresh fruits and vegies, etc.  No alcohol after
the fast, but then if he practices Ramadan he probably would not be guzzling a
six pack in the evening.  And I'm afraid to say that drinking is so common in
our society, that not drinking is rare!  (Alcohol is a poison for the brain,
yet it is even commonly given to children.  It has an affinity for the
cerebellum and I'm certain we all know how the cerebellum is involed with
learning.)
Fasting will mobilize the fatty acids and maintian a level glucose in the
blood.  It should actually be one of the most metabolic equilibrated moments.
We
fast every day for hours as we sleep.  It is not a stess for our brains.
 So, I say go for the fast, it won't hurt while the modern western diet and
drinking definately will, and we work quite well even with that.

Jef