Re: umount impossible - device busy

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:57:59 +0200
Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have been experiencing this problem since a little while, so I
> thought I'd make a bug report.
>
> If I use emelfm2 plugin to mount devices, everythings's fine. However,
> if I do any writing on the device using e2 (like copying a file), then
> emelfm2 won't unmount the device, stating it's busy. Manually
> trying to unmount the device in a terminal will fail as well.
>
> Probing the device with lsof:
>
> # /usr/sbin/lsof | grep "SD128"
> emelfm2 3928 thk  cwd DIR 8,33 16384 86 /media/SD128/Media/Documents
>
> In that case, SD128 is the mountpoint, Documents is the folder where I
> copied a file.
>
> This issue only appears when following a writing operation. A reading
> operation only (like opening a file to view its content without
> modification) doesn't cause any trouble.
>
> And if I open a terminal to manually do the writing operation (i.e. cp
> ~/test.pdf /media/SD128/Media/Documents), then unmount will be
> successful. The "bug" arises only if emelfm2 did the writing operation.
>
> It seems emelfm2 leaves a process unused in the mountpoint, which
> prevents the unmounting.
This one seems tough to figure out. When copying a file, e2 just does
 open temp file > blockwise-copy > close > handle-any-overwrite > rename temp
copied file

Nothing obviously hanging around afterward. Could there be some sort of
write-cacheing happening ? What happens if the unmount is delayed awhile ?

What happens if you rename an item already on the mounted device, or change
some other file property there ?

Might be file-alteration monitoring, instead of an open file ?