Re: 'file operation in progress' indicator?

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:09:14 +0100
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 2:00 AM,  <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For experimental purposes at least, I changed svn to show "Working" plus a
> > spinner, for gtk >= 2.20. I haven't used or evaluated it.
> >
> I've just evaluated r2144 and the spinner works quite nicely to
> indicate 'progress' in a clear manner. One issue is that it works for
> two operations, while for the third the spinner disappears and only
> 'Working' appears, while for the subsequent nothing at all appears in
> the status pane. To replicate, select a file and hit <f2>, then <esc>
> select another file and <f2>, and so on for 4-5 times. (It may be
> important to perform this sequence quickly.) Towards the end of this
> trial neither 'Working' nor the spinner will appear.

Fixed now, in svn.

> The other minor 'issue' is the wording 'Working'. I feel that the
> previous 'In progress' was more appropriate for the job, even if it'd
> take more space. But that's not very important.

IMHO if a subject is omitted, the implied subject is the application itself
i.e. "in progress" seems like "emelfm2 in progress" which is not so helpful.
Hence the normal display is "file operation in progress". Whereas "busy", or
"working", by itself implies that the application is busy/working, which is ok.