Re: 48x48

  • From: Robert <reboant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:41:29 -0500

tooar wrote:

Reboant wrote on Wed, 15.09.2004:

tooar wrote:

I think you're right.Won't really match up if some icons are blurry
and pixilated while others aren't.You mentioned earlier that gtk
allows for a multitude of sizes unfortunately most of the icons only
come in one size. Gnome (like Kde) does and uses multiple sizes to a
degree but a lot of icons are still missing.Not sure if they haven't
been created yet or they just won't be added at all.On the other
hand,Kde has a full spectrum of usable icons in just about every
needed size but won't match the gtk look.

yes, that's a pitty!

That kind of ticks me off because I don't use Kde.It is nothing but a massive resource hog. Gnome isn't far behind unless you turn off Nautilus (the biggest mistake the gnome devs ever made).Personally I prefer Icewm with as many non DE related apps as possible.

Kde = 147 megs
gnome = 72 (using the rox pinboard for the desktop instead of
Nautilus) Icewm = 31 (with rox pinboard)

i personally use sawfish and fbpanel.

Have you ever tried perlpanel?

http://jodrell.net/projects/perlpanel

The point I'm trying to make is that a lot of folks using Emelfm2 will

probably be thinking the same way.Minimalistically.Is that even a word?It is now. :D

i agree. i'm aware of the trend in e2 to get more and more functions or
in other words bigger and bigger. in the future, after the plugins are
redone, i'll move unimportant code to plugins.

Even with tons of features added it will still take up less resources than Nautilus or konqouror.Its also faster and far more stable.Now we just have to make it look a lot better. :)

They want something fast and dependable with a lot of useful features.
With all that in mind,they won't be using Gnome's extra icons because they won't be using Gnome.Instead they'll be stuck with either the gtk-stock or whatever comes with the gtk2 theme they use(if any at
all).

that's true. that's why i'm asking you to create icons. i haven't changed the default config yet, but i will. i have to make sure it finds the icons. i'm also looking forward to see the icons that tom has created!

I understand now.I thought it was just a gtk2 limitation.Don't know where I got that idea.
BTW,the icon selectin dialog box which pops up when wanting to change icons is way too small on my system.Having to resize that thing all the time can be a real pain when comparing how different icons will look (for example) on the toolbar.Think you can look into that for me?

I was never really any good at explaining myself so if that mess above

that's ok.. :)

didn't make sense then just disregard it as another one of my crazy philosophical rants.
Think that 24x24 icons are just fine for everyday use.If bigger ones are needed then perhaps someone (like me :) ) will do their best to creat them.

good, that's great! if we have 24x24 and 48x48 versions we already have a good start. SVG icons would be ideal, though. (as the e2 logo)

There is a problem with gtk/gnome in the way they render svg images.I've been looking into it now for a while with very little luck.Did you make the original svg e2 logo? If so then what app did you use and was there any extra steps when saving it to a .svg file?I finally got Illistrator and installed it but none of the images I've made will work with gtk or gnome no matter what I do.
Please understand,This is a new app and will most likely take quite a while to learn.Even though it puts Sodipodi and Inkscape to shame the end results may never be 100% compatible.If I can't find an easy way to convert my images over then I'll have to learn learn xml and do it by manually.

Life is like a box of chocolates,even though somethings taste really great it all still looks like crap. :)

I don't know if you have Gnome installed but you might take a look at stock_folder-move.png (see attachment).I think its a perfect fit.

yes, that looks ok. i'll have to try it in my toolbar for a bit.

If it isn't what you want then please let me know so I can start work on something more to your liking.

anyway, sorry again for my late replys. i'm somehow really busy lately.
it's good other people keep the work up!

regards,

        tooar

Take care of the most important things first and don't get burned out.
I'll just crawl into a dark,damp corner and sulk while waiting for the next stable release. :)