Re: 4096 as dir size

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 22:42:34 +1100

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 21:34:43 +0300
BrainWorker BrainWorker <owl.brainworker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why value '4096' is shown as directory size in column 'Size' ? This is
> obviously is not directories' size. In other file managers just
> '<DIR>' is shown as value in column 'Size' for directories.
>
> I can have 1 GB of data inside one directory, but its size is shown as 4 KB.
> Funny :-)

Well, actually the displayed size is just what it says it is, not the size of
all items in the directory. 4kb tends to be the minimim size allocated by a
file-system. Bigger sizes occur when there's lots of items in the directory,
regardless of their own sizes.

If you want to aggregate the sizes of a directory's contents, run a relevant
shell command, or execute the plugin which by default resides in the
commandbar. Both of these are too slow to use for filelists.