[ell-i-developers] Re: Tentative plan for Arduino Ethernet library support

  • From: Teemu Hakala <temmi@xxxxxx>
  • To: "ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:22:17 +0200

On 18.2.2014, at 8:51, Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@xxxxxx> wrote:
> W5100 based stack, so that we could support directly the Arduino version of
> the Ethernet class.

This would be very good.

> Someone could then test the implementation on an Arduino Uno or Due.

I’m not sure of any Dues around, but I think I could test this on Unos and
W-shields with Eero when it is ready.

> ...not bound to the W5100 implementation other than in a couple of places,
> that most probably can be refactored.

I wasn’t hoping for such a good luck, but this is great news.

> That would take too much time at the moment, and I'm therefore planning to
> implement only UDP, for now.  That should be enough also for DHCP, as the
> Arduino Ethernet library implements DCHP.

I’m all for this. Working UDP/IP that includes DHCP and COAP support is plenty
to give us communication with a Node.JS aggregate running either just a
translative UX or some automation agents.

I am looking at a new Linux distribution designed so that the whole
distribution can easily be branched and buildworld’d for even a small /etc
configuration feature testing. It is looking promising and I’m really happy
somebody (Lars Wirzenius) has taken notice on how badly the Linux distributions
generally do any kind of world-builds. This could replace the Debian on our
Raspberry Pi and make us have faster and more trackable deployment for the
aggregate host software.

> If this plan succeeds, we should have working UDP/IP relatively soon.
> Realistically this will take more than a week, so perhaps late next week if
> everything goes well.  Sooner if someone is able to join me and we can divide
> some of the work among us.

Definitely good news, if we can have communications on this schedule. Basically
this will emancipate anybody coding from Arduino IDE side to start developing
systems instead of just individual nonconnective nodes.

 - t