[ell-i-developers] Re: Priorities for this week

  • From: Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@xxxxxx>
  • To: ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 09:35:49 +0200

> I intend to add the required features to the Serial object.

I think it would be better first focus more on the high-level context,
including the interplay of the Stream and Serial classes, which may turn out to
be hard to implement in an efficient manner.  Only once we have a suitable
structure there, I think it is time to return to the RingBuffer and
more-efficient-than-polling implementation of the write() method.

> As far as I understand, that is the reason you use "yield" function in the
> new Runtime:
> https://github.com/Ell-i/Runtime/blob/master/stm32/cores/arduelli/Arduino_Serial.h#L71
> you simply wait until the Transmit Data Register is empty.

Correct, I want to give a chance for other threads to run while waiting.  And I
think this is good enough for now.

--Pekka