[ell-i-developers] Re: Outline and guide for IP/UDP testing

  • From: Ivan Raul <supra.material@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 04:30:16 +0100

Dear All.

The previous instructions were intended for Unix, now I will try to
describe how to do it in Linux. In particular, in Ubuntu 12.04.

First, I am working with the direct cable connection, without a switch /
router between the board and my computer.

A few things need to be prepared before testing:

---> Install Wireshark

//Get Wireshark
sudo apt-get install wireshark

---> Disable the Network Manager for the used interface

It is necessary for my case, as the Network Manager tries to handle the
connection and sends many different packages, although there might be a
more elegant solution.

The original idea is taken from the following forum:

It is necessary to add the mac address of the interface to the not managed

cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

--->  For this examples, I use the interface "eth0" of my computer.

---> Configure and Activate interface

sudo ifconfig eth0 netmask

*I don't need alias, as the interface is not managed and has no given

---> Configure ARP

//Check arp
arp -a

//Set arp
sudo arp -s 00:00:00:00:00:00 -i eth0

Now the real testing

---> Start Monitoring

//Run Wireshark
Either with "sudo wireshark"
Or following this guide "

//start tcpdump
sudo tcpdump -i eth0

---> Ping

//normal ping

//fast ping
ping -i 0.2

After Testing

//Remove arp
sudo arp -d

I hope this little and brief guide could help to speed up the testing

Have a very nice weekend

BR, Ivan