[ell-i-developers] Re: OpenOCD and ellduino

  • From: Teemu Hakala <temmi@xxxxxx>
  • To: "ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 13:25:06 +0300

On 9.6.2014, at 13:20, Atte Peltomaki <atte.peltomaki@xxxxxx> wrote:

> From functionality perspective, SWD and JTAG are simply transports that
> expose the underlying hardware (Access Port in ARM slang). Details are

> I understood the point of SWD is to simply be a drop-in replacement for
> JTAG with reduced pin count. Those MCUs that support both, repurpose a
> subset of the JTAG pins for SWD and include a mechanism for selecting
> between the two protocols.

I’m not alone reading the documents like so. Why I personally think we need
a whole JTAG supported as well, is that the system under debugging might
have other chips that support only JTAG proper, while the main MCU will
have SWD.

This also why I think the JTAG/SWD from software point can be layered
nicely in abstractions and that this would be beneficial for all.

 - t