[ell-i-developers] Re: Linear Technology has jumped in on Arduino-like things

  • From: Teemu Hakala <temmi@xxxxxx>
  • To: "ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 09:21:57 +0200

On 14.2.2014, at 9:09, Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Indeed. I guess everyone is jumping to the Arduino bandwagon now: Linear,
> Cypress, Lattice at least.

I guess the appeal for low entry level allows for professional developers to
achieve ultrafast agile first release of a very rough bamboo sticks and duck
tape prototype, much like how we did our first demo with evaluation board
modules and the STM Discovery board.

Professional developers may also not care much about the price of the
evaluation modules, but their financial control must appreciate any effort to
make development tools cheaper. The developers are used to having free samples
of any chip and now the new trend for evaluation modules for chips is to come
closer to that.

I think it is a good trend and allows multidisciplinary students easier access
to EE side of things so that they can have a more holistic discussions with the
future EEs they’re developing with. One of ELL-i targets has always been to
promote software people understand basics of hardware and hardware guys to get
the grips of software and the current trend seems very much into this direction.

> Right, but it also means that we now need to start marching instead of
> walking slowly.  But we are doing that.  Soon we may need to start running,
> but for that we'll need some more funding too.  So, let's talk to STM!?

How about constructing a Keynote/PDF presentation of our vision of the ELL-i
development platform as hardware, software, concepts and how it fits in the
generic ecology? It should fit into roughly four slides and the whole pitch
speech should be short so as to be more part of discussion than a boring
lecture. I could take a start on this wednesday morning.

> Could we add to the "Arduelli" Application board?

Actually, that would be the perfect place for it. It is already becoming a jack
of all trades McGyver-knife of a beast and the Quickeval-connector fits the
idea perfectly.

- t