[ell-i-developers] Re: Instructions before asynchronous exception

  • From: Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@xxxxxx>
  • To: ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 15:00:20 +0200

> As a design decision, what is the general idea when using the Cortex M-4
> processor, will be a distinction between the user application and the system
> below it, or all the software will be developed as if it runs in privileged
> mode (as now on the Cortex M-0 processor of the Ellduino)?

That remains to be decided.  We can do either way.  I don't have any strong
opinion for the Arduino API runtime that we are implementing now.  I think it
is simplest first to run everything in the privileged mode.

If/when we later on start supporting other APIs, or even JavaScript, the
situation may be different.  For the latter case I think we most probably
should implement some level of memory protection and the user/privileged mode
distinction, but so far I haven't had time to really think about it.