[ell-i-developers] Re: Developing on STM NUCLEO-F334R8

  • From: Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@xxxxxx>
  • To: ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 11:35:17 +0300

> It seems that I've some porting to do, so I'd rather spend my time porting
> our own runtime than mbed. I'm not much of a programmer, so chances are
> I'll spend 10x the time someone who knows what they are doing would.

Lari has made good progress with the STM32F4discovery.  If possible, I think
the best way for you is to team up together to complete that first, in pair
programming, and then continue to the 334.

> I assume I can grab one of those USB/Serial converters, look up how
> they're wired on Ellduino and copy that on Nucleo pins. I also assume that
> STM32flash utility works in a same way it does on Ellduino. Please correct
> me if either of those assumptions is wrong, it saves at least a day of my
> time.

Yes, that should work, other than resetting the board.  For reset you need to
do something else, like press the reset button manually.

Most likely stm32flash *wont* work out of the source, since -334 has a
different device ID.  Hence, you will need to add that device id into the
stm32flash source.  But stm32flash should give you an adequate error message
that it doesn't recognise the chip.  Then you need to add the new device id to
the source, and also specify there the other info about the chip, i.e. memory
layout etc.

> I'd guess the next step is to look up pin definitions and change them as
> appropriate. Then I probably should see if there are any register
> definitions etc. and make sure they are valid.

I don't understand your point about "register definitions".

> After all that I probably could get a blink running, after that it should
> be relatively simple to drive a PWM signal out of some pin.

You will first need to prepare an nucleof334 variant for the Runtime, along the
same lines Lari is now making a variant for the f4discovery.  That seems to be
a 2-3 day work to get it booted.

> Do you think I'm on a right track? Any thoughts / comments? Does someone
> have time to help me through the porting?

You are on the right track.  I can help you remotely but that is limited.
Without prior experience it will take 2-3 weeks or more, with Lari's help
hopefully less than a week, as he seems to be able to follow my earlier steps