[elky] Re: update

  • From: stillfranksfault@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:38:33 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, Jan 15, 2010 12:14 pm
Subject: [elky] Re: update

excellent advice Jim.

Two things you want are easy steering and a deck that is a manageable size.  We
went with a slightly smaller one because we cut around so many trees.  If you
are just doing a large, flat area, larger will be quicker.  And you should also
look into what attachments are available and how easy they are to connect.
Because we have a pair of Craftsman the attachments are interchangeable (many
are universal and will hook to other tractors, too).  We have a cart (for
hauling stuff from here to there), a spreader, and a grass catcher.  If you
have to clear your driveway of snow, you'll want a plow.  We can't burn during
the summer so we also have a small wood chipper for brush. Whatever you end up
with be sure it will meet all your needs, now and in the future.

I think what surprised us was how much equipment we needed going from city to
country.  We went through several brush cutters before investing in a Stihl.
And chain saws.  Is your lot wooded or cleared?

TREES ARE ON THE BOARDER, CENTER IS CLEAR. There is one area that has a bump
that is not to gradual, looks to be tricky if i am not careful with a riding
mower. I am only concerned if it rolls over on me.

yeah, we are all living through your move.  New is always good.

Mary

Depending on how   level your sod is, will kinda determine just how big a deck
you can   efficiently use.  I use a 54, 60, and 72 decks..and wish I had a 144”
  (some day) flex wing.  I’ve also got some 40-48”.  The smaller they   are,
the less scalping they do, over stating the obvious, eh ?  My front   decks are
the most efficient at mowing and trimming around stuff.. 2X as fast   as a
tractor belly deck.  Money is going to play a big factor in your   compromise
as it does all of us. I can tell you  that a compact tractor   will be
invaluable if you have an acreage needing mowing, rock and soil   moving, tree
planting/removal, etc.  a 3 pt finish mower on the back will   be easy to hook
up and quick to use.. mows the big areas fast.  Get a   smaller front deck for
around the house , circling the trees for the   trimming,  the CUT will let you
mount a tiller, etc for all those home   improvement dirt related projects as
well… log splitter for firewood.. the   list is endless and goes on and on.
Plus the little diesel will have   enough power to run a generator on the pto
so you can have power during the   ice storm outages..

I agree the JD green   paint will be the highest priced.. the Kubota and kioti
are good values..   mahinda has a good rep, and the bobcat cut’s are built by
kioti.  I’m big   on the hydro trans for ease of use for both you and   Dorothy.

How many acres with   the house ?  do you have a hard surface road adjoining ?
and hard    surface driveway ? city or rural water ?  nat gas, propane or elec
 ?

Hey, we’re all living   vicariously thru your epic move <G>

Jim

The guy with   lots’_0_questions