[elky] Re: Way off topic...but sorta scientific: water pressure and flow

  • From: "Rick Draganowski" <dragan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:49:21 -0800

Every inch of water in the pipe coming down from the elevated reservoir exerts
pressure in all directions based on its weight since it has no rigidity. So if
you just think of it as as the height and the density you can see how a small
tall reservoir would exert the exact same pressure as a large one the same
height. So as you lower the top level of fluid you decrease the pressure
proportionally. Size or area has nothing to do with water pressure but much to
do with the total force of an area. So one square foot at 1psig is the 144 lbf
just one square inch is one lbf. The pressure is just a function of column
height. Little less an half a lbf psig per foot depth.

Note I use the normal nomenclature for gauge pressure which does not include
atmospheric pressure.

psig pounds per square inch gauge
psia pounds per square inch absolute
lbf pounds-force

This is the same principle as use in a hydralic lift where a small pump pushing
hydralic fluid against a large piston can lift tons. Slowly.

Rick Draganowski
(Soli Deo Gloria)