[elky] Re: Trip

  • From: Jared Ryan <jryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:42:59 -0500

I have a fixed rate from my provider, with a contract that expires at the
end of September.  It looks like I'll renew it at the same rate for another
six months to a year.  I like having the fixed rate vs. a variable rate.
In Texas, except for certain areas like Austin and San Antonio, you pick
your "retail provider" which is really just who takes your money.  The same
company, part of the old monopoly, maintains the poles and wires.
"Deregulation" was supposed to help consumers, but when you consider that
Enron was a big proponent of it, I'm not sure so sure that was really the
plan.  It seems that almost any time big businesses push to deregulate
something, it's because they've found a way to game it.  And this is coming
from one of the most ardent, greedy capitalists you'll ever meet!