[elky] Re: Trip

  • From: Robert Adams <ladams21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:15:26 -0500

Ohio's roads were in much better condition than I expected.  65 mph speed
limit on Interstates, and the roads were fine at that speed.  55 mph on the
U.S. and state highways, which was also fine, considering they were usually
two-lane roads.  Still, I took a U.S. highway from Findlay to Sandusky, and
enjoyed the drive greatly.  Much more interesting than staying on the
Interstate, and no traffic to speak of, so I made good time at 55 mph.

45-55 is just way too slow for a nice county road. They are 65-70 here depending on what direction they run. (I have no idea why the direction they run dictates how fast the speed is, maybe they are worried about the earths rotation)

          PA and Virginia have ludicrously slow speed limits.

Although it is nice cause the drivers up there are better than here(in some ways). Here driving is like driving in a race all the time. Just stay in race mode and go for it. Course up there people tend to drive slow and they stay in the left lane while doing it.

The only significant deterioration I saw was some corrosion on a suspension
bridge over the Ohio River from Kentucky to Ohio, and the bridge was built
in 1896.  I would expect to see some corrosion.  It wasn't obviously in a
state of about-to-fall-apart, though.

Ohio has always had nice roads with the exception of Toledo. The freeway is really nice there but it's all blocked off by cones cause they don't want you to drive on it and wear it out.

For the Reds game, I parked in Covington, Kentucky for $3 and walked across
the bridge to the Great American Ballpark.  Dirt cheap compared to parking
downtown for an Astros game, and not much longer of a walk either.

If y'all ever get to ride on a Huey helicopter, sit in a machine gunner's
seat.  Just do it.  Trust me.  You will not fall out, and you will have no
sensation of falling out, and you will get a great view.

More to come later.

Not bad. The GF drags me to baseball games here course I get into the minor league games for free or nearly free. No baseball game is worth what the pros charge. I thought about taking my laptop to the game so I'd have something to do there...