[elky] Re: Shop day in Saint Charles

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 08:13:32 -0500

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 4:17 PM, John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I got out to the garage a little before 11 this morning, and swapped out
> the Oxygen sensor on the EL Camino. Haven't run the numbers on the laptop
> yet, but it started and ran fine. I pulled the Pathfinder right in after
> that.
>
> I tried to get the calipers of on Tuesday with no luck at all. Thinking
> that another few days with PB Blaster on the caliper hold down bolts would
> loosen them up, I tried again today. Still no luck, so I got out the old
> Acetylene torch ahdn heated them up, and they came off finally. I had to
> torch all 4 though. I had the brakes done by someone else a few years ago,
> so I thought they would have been off, but it sure didn't act like it. 165K
> miles on it now.

             Happens even on some cars here after just a few miles. SOme
designs of brake hardware sieze up quick and even with antisieze they will
not come apart.

                   Working on the PT cruiser is nice in that respect cause
it's basically like working on a brand new car course it shouldn't need so
many repairs this early in life but it is a Chrysler with an engine designed
by mercedes and then built in conjuncion with chrysler and Mitsubishi and
none of those are known for build quality and reliability.

> I think I still have the groaning sound, but only if I try to make it kick
> in to ABS mode. I wonder if it might be ABS related, or maybe the master
> cylinder.  I'll worry about it after Omaha. I'm sure it will be fine for
> that trip.

            That's usually a pad/rotor issue. Say new pads on old rotors and
the compounds don't mix so the new ones don't bed in properly. So the pads
grab and slip. Now if it does it just when the ABS kicks in then no biggie.
That's the ABS doing it's thing.

> Chris.... Do they make one of those fancy air filters for a 1999
> Pathfinder with a V6?
>
> Also Nate is wondering about either a cold air intake, or a fancy K&N type
> air filter for his 2007 Volvo C70 Turbo.
>
> Let me know, so we can support our sponsors!!! Nate says he would do a
> sticker too if you have them. I would put one in the back window of the EL
> Camino too.
>
> JC

                          I spent the afternoon in the shop helping a friend
build a baseball box out of yellow heart.  With the AC running all day it
got down to about 90 in the shop and very dry cause the AC never shut off.
The shop is 20x40 with a 2 ton AC and to cool it down like you would want
would take a 3/5 ton AC....

                                   Officially we are around day 40 of high
temps at or above 100*. Now for where we are and most everyone else in the
metroplex we are at around day 67 in a row of 100*+ temps. We have atleast
another 30 more day of this to go. A 3:30 last night I checked the temp and
it was still 86*. So back out into the oven. Last month elec bill was 180
next month will prob be a good bit more with the ac in the shop.