[elky] Re: Robert v. fire

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:51:12 -0700

temps sound awful. Even though its a dry heat, it still sounds miserable. 'course it's the middle of June and 56* here with showers.

the standard is to cut the limbs off the trees up to 15'. that way the burning brush hopefully goes by so fast it doesn't ignite the trees. And they should be 30' from the structure. These guys are good, but not area specific: http://www.firewise.org/

Lots of trees where we are and close to the lake. Not too worried as it'll take quite a fire to cause any concern. As for the grass around the house... Well I have my 3 patches of bermuda in the back which the blades are as thin as a hair and the little bit of st augustine out front is the same. But the vast majority of the grass is dead dried and can be swept off with a broom and all you see is sand. In fact most of the yard is bare sand now. Haven't had to cut the grass in weeks now and prob won't again till fall.

It's been 102+ every day for the last couple weeks now and most days are 104* with a few hitting 106*. Hopefully it'll cool off and then heat back up for when Cort comes down so he can see what summer is really like.

The Azle reporting station shows it's 108.5* right now.... No wonder I'm miserable in the shop. Next tool funds are going toward AC for the shop.
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXAZLE5