[elky] Re: Race car (Monte Carlo)

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 22:38:28 -0400

I think you could still use your 7mm set made for an HEI ignition,
you'll just need a wire for the coil to the distributor.  You can buy
single wires.  I used MSD cut to fit wires on my 406.  I cut them a
little long so I could remove the distributor cap with the wires
attached if needed; in hindsight I would have cut them shorter.

Plug wire looms are critical; burned wires can ruin race day.  I have
the same AFR 195 heads as you, and I used Moroso looms made for
centerbolt heads, since the AFR heads have the loom bolt holes on the
sides, between the exhaust ports.  I had to grind my header flanges
for clearance.   Mounting the looms on the side of the heads means you
can remove the valve covers without disturbing the plug wires.  I
found a photo of an engine with the looms I have, I can take a photo
of my wire setup if you want:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs072.snc4/34946_10150241742125495_866360494_15003088_1610904_n.jpg